Laying my Things Aside...

Saturday, March 29, 2014



Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 
Matthew 6:19-21
  
Recently while trying to maneuver the stroller through the busy crowd at the mall, I was flooded with a bunch of thoughts.

First thought…
Why have people not figured out how to walk through the mall?
Stopping mid walk,
walking against “traffic”,
walking full speed out of a store into oncoming “traffic.”
It’s enough to drive a typically patient person insane.

Second thought…
Wow, I’m totally unstylish and broke. 
As I looked around at all the adorable clothes, jewelry, and shoes I felt despair.
Yes, despair.
This feeling of complete inadequacy.
As I watched trendy girls walk by, I was envious.
I wished I had more money.
Wished I was 3 sizes smaller.
Wished my house looked like pottery barn.
I left the mall feeling discouraged.
Please tell me I am not the only one this happens to?

Materialism has always been something I’ve struggled with.  The problem with materialism is you are always thirsty.  There is this continual feeling that if I can just get that rug or those shoes or that bigger house then I will be content. 
And thus ensues a crazy cycle of wanting bigger, better, and more. 

I’ve been on this crazy cycle so many times.
I’ve spent much of my life dreaming for what’s next. 
And once I get it there is still this void.
This God sized void that I know only He can fill.
And yet, in my sin, there are still days when I leave the mall in despair.

I was blessed (and cursed) to marry a man who could care less about material things.  He has challenged me in so many ways and questions my motives all too often.  My hubby would be happy living in a shack, as long as he had us girls.  He never wants for anything.  And I’m envious of his ability to hold little value in earthly treasures.

You see, there is nothing wrong with things.
There is nothing wrong with couches, curtains, and clothes.
There is nothing wrong with being stylish.
There is nothing wrong with enjoying decorating my house.
It’s when these things become my purpose.
When my thoughts, life and energy revolves around these things.

Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul? For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done.
Matthew 16:24-27

I’ve got a long way to go, but through His word, my hubby and some great books the Lord has opened my eyes to my sin and has started to strip me of my desire for earthly things.
I’ve become so disgusted by the American dream.
It’s all about excess.
All about bigger and better and more.
And I’m simply not going to buy in to it anymore. 
It’s not satisfying and I always leave thirsty.

If I claim that Jesus is my sole treasure, then my actions should reflect it.  For me, that means pursuing Him about all else, laying my things aside, and realizing this life is about Him, not me.

share this on::
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Digg
Add a comment »

This entry was posted on Saturday, March 29, 2014. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.