Happy Birthday Daddy!

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Happy Birthday Dad! 


They don't get any better than this man right here

In honor of his special day, I figured I would share a few of my favorite memories 

  • Soap Box Derby - If you don't know about soap box derby then you are missing out.  It was a big deal in the town we grew up in.  I can remember months before the race, my dad would be out in the garage getting out cars ready.  Making sure every nut and bolt was in place, our tires were aligned, and our paint job and decals were just right. I have such sweet memories of race days when we could get up early and strategize the track and the best way to ride each bump and groove in the course.  And he would spend all day spinning my cars wheels and greasing them just right so that I'd have the best chance of winning. And when he would ride up to the top of the hill with me and tuck me into my car, give me some last minute pointers and whisper good luck Bucky (his nickname for me) in my ear.  Our hard work payed off when I won the local derby.  I will never forget what is was like to ride back up the hill and see my huge cheering session waiting and him with the biggest grin! Then we went on to win 9th place at nationals! 
  • Buffalo Bills Games - Dad was a season ticket holder 15+ years. My entire childhood.  It didn't matter if it was 5 degrees of 65 degrees, he hauled us out in our snow suits to so many football games.  We'd listen to GR-55 the whole way up to the game and the whole way back. Before the games, we'd eat at Joe's diner and get a milkshake.  Most games, I think we spent more time asking to go to the concession stand than we did watching the game.  But, it was all those years of games that made us in to the football lovers that we are now.  
  • Our college tour road trip - I was ready to get the heck out of freezing western NY and wanted to look at several schools in the South.  We took several days and drove all down the East coast taking college tours.  It was a fun trip, just me and you, and I have so my sweet memories from that road trip.  

  • My wedding day - I hadn't really thought about the father/daughter dance too much before the wedding, other than to pick out our song.  We danced to "Cinderella" by Chris Tomlin.  Moments before we danced, it all hit me like a ton of bricks the significance of our dance.  And I sobbed.  Sobbed like it was a funeral. And you cried too and we danced.  And even though it was embarrassing to sob in front of everyone, it was one of the sweetest moments of my life! 

Daddy, in honor of your special day I want to say THANK YOU!  Thank you for all you've done and continue to do!  You would literally give us the shirt off your back if we asked and I know I speak for all of your kids when I say, we love you! 

 I love you all the way down to the end of the dirt and as high as the sky goes up!  

share this on::
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Digg
Add a comment »

This entry was posted on Tuesday, October 1, 2013. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.